Saints of the Roundtable
Dr. Alquist, a veteran pastor, a man of God and a soul winner has developed a local church centered strategy that is geared especially for men. It is called the Saints of the Round Table and it is a rather unique approach that Dr. Alquist has used successfully in his own church. In these days there is no time to waste. If we reach the men, we will in most cases, reach their families. I commend Dr. Alquist to you and recommend that you take a look at the program.
-Dr. Shelton Smith, Editor of the Sword of the Lord-
Thank you for your interest in making the Saints of the Round Table ministry to men a part of your local church ministry. This program incorporates a teacher’s guide, a student book and a book of the various forms you will need to operate the program.
The teacher’ guide has been written to provide the teacher with the basis of the lesson. These lessons can be taught as they are or the teacher may wish to add personal insights, scriptures and other material that he feels would be helpful to the students. The student’s book has fill-in-the-blank sections for each lesson. The book of forms is perforated so they can be removed and copied as needed.
- Promote the program from the pulpit and the bulletin.
- Meet once a month on a Friday or Saturday evening (preferably the same week each month).
- Have seating arranged in a large circle (i.e., Round Table).
- Pick one of the songs which you sing at the meeting and have the men sing it on the platform during the Sunday morning service. Saints of the Round Table is not a “singing group,” it is just a group of men who sing for the Lord. This will encourage the congregation.
- Schedule outings for the men quarterly. Some possible outings are sporting events, picnics, trips to conferences, trips to large sporting outlets or wildlife displays at a convention center, bowling, golf tournament, target shoot, camp out, etc.
- Saints of the Round Table should be attended only by men who are 19 years old and up.
- Roll call should be taken out loud with each man answering for himself.
- Providing a meal before the meeting helps those who do not have time to eat dinner at home after work before coming to the meeting.
- Encourage the men to purchase T-shirts and wear them to the meetings.
- Encourage the men to purchase lapel pins and wear them to church.
- Choose new Knights of the Realms at the beginning of each lesson year. Some men may be particularly suited to be Knights of certain Realms and should be allowed to remain as the Knight for a 3 year period.
- Take pictures at meetings and outings and post them on the church bulletin board.
- Have a basket on the table for the men to make an offering to cover the expenses of the food and meeting.
- Frame a Saints of the Round Table Charter Members form and display it in the church. This will consist of the names of the men who attended the charter meeting of the Table.
You can download a sample lesson HERE